Tuesday 4 December 2012

On the Popularity of Dead Frogs...


One feature I like on Blogger is the opportunity to view my 'stats'. It's interesting to see where people who are viewing the blog live, or which websites pointed them in my direction, and it also tells me which posts are getting the most hits.

For a long time the most popular post has been 'Falling In Love', which surprises me as it's just a quick reflection on the beauties of early summer. I imagine it must be because it's a phrase that might easily be Googled and lead searchers here, though they're probably disappointed when they get to it if it's Mills & Boon they had in mind. Likewise those seeking gardening tips are undoubtedly disgusted by my laid back attitude to weeds when they are directed to 'My Lawn is Full of Dandelions', which is also high on the popularity chart - especially in spring. Hopefully at least 'St Anthony's Well, Llansteffan' is exactly what it says on the tin, and presumably 'ThriftWitch: The Clean Start Soap Spell' is a pretty unambiguous title. All popular posts.

But this week a new favourite has hit the top spot after scoring multiple hits, week in, week out. The post in question is 'When is a Dead Frog Just a Dead Frog?', and although it is a post I am proud of, I can't understand its popularity. Are there that many people out there Googling the term 'Dead Frog'? How else do they come to that particular post? Has someone else commented on it in their blog and people are coming over out of curiosity? Or... Oh my gosh, is it some sort of weird sexual practice... why didn't anyone tell me!!! At that point the possibilities fail me. Don't get me wrong - I do think it's a good post - but the most popular Moonroot post ever?

So, if you are one of those who has been drawn to 'When is a Dead Frog Just a Dead Frog?', do please satisfy my curiosity. How on earth did you stumble across it in the first place?

P.S. I couldn't find a convenient photo of a frog, so the photo is of somewhere a live frog might like to hang out. See? I'm nothing if not versatile.

4 comments:

momto5 said...

funny. you will probably get more hits on those now that you brought them up. LOL

Oya's Daughter said...

I wonder if it refers to the Toadbone rite? There was a bit of kerfuffle about it in the hedgewitch community because, well, people on the internet like to argue about things.

I do remember the "Sometimes it's just a toad" post you did some time ago so it gave me a chuckle to see this come up.

Hagthorn said...

Haha, I just googled dead frog! It's quite amazing what a popular name it is for all manner of things... a brewery, a studio, a comedy blog, the list is endless. Dead frogs aside, I'm quite disappointed that I will not be reading any Mills and Boon on your site though! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I just liked the photo....caught my eye